Project Scope - Major Existing Issues
There was a significant list of issues with the CBD streetscape performance generated by members of public, business owners, market stall owners, the police, accessability action groups, infrastructure maintenance organisations such as Marlborough Lines, Council staff and event organisers. The list below was generated by the above groups of people and only represents the more significant issues.
- Pedestrian access and legibility across Market Place
- Potential “two-waying” of Market Street
- Relocation of taxi stands in Market Place
- Major areas of safety concern
- Future developments: Car park/Visitor Centre building, Farmers, Theatre and Library/Arts Gallery
- Future public open space developments: Riverside Park and Queen Street Park
- Upgrade of major pedestrian connections to the river
- Street tree upgrade on Seymour Street
- Wind issue for Bythell Place (especially the northern area)
- Upgrade of major gateways into the town and way finding
- Pedestrian movement from I-Site into town centre.