Skip to Content

Alcohol Licences

On this page:

Go directly to Alcohol Licence forms

About the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

The Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 has replaced the Sale of Liquor Act 1989. It introduces a new system to control the sale and supply of alcohol in New Zealand to help ensure that:

  • the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol is undertaken safely and responsibly
  • that harm caused by the misuse of alcohol is minimised.

More information

Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012.

The Ministry of Justice website

Latest newsletters

PDF Document.Alcohol Licensing Newsletter for Clubs - June 2015 (354 Kb)

PDF Document. Alcohol Licensing Newsletter - December 2014 (158 Kb)

Alcohol licensing

To sell or provide alcohol to the public you must have an alcohol licence.

The Marlborough District Council is the District Licensing Committee for the Marlborough region and issues alcohol licences and managers’ certification to suitable applicants.

Find out here if you need a licence, what types of licence there are, and how to apply.

If you have any questions, contact the Alcohol Administration Officer at Marlborough District Council.

Types of licences

Manager’s certificates

If you are a duty manager in any licensed premise, for example a bar, supermarket, cellar door or a club, you will need to have a manager’s certificate.


On, off and club licences

If you sell or provide alcohol to the public, the place you sell from will need to be licensed. Different licenses apply for different situations. Find out here which will apply to you.


Special licence

A special licence authorises the sale, supply, or consumption of alcohol at a specified location, premises or moving conveyance such as a boat for a particular occasion or event, or series of events. Find out here if you will need a special licence.


Temporary authority to operate alcohol licences

You need to apply for a new alcohol licence when you buy a business that sells or distributes alcohol. A temporary authority to operate alcohol licences allows you to operate your new business under the conditions of the existing licence for a short time while you apply for the relevant licence.


Variation of existing alcohol licence

If you have an existing alcohol licence and need to change the conditions under which you operate, you must apply for a variation.


Marlborough District Council liquor ban bylaw 2004

The aim of this bylaw is to control the possession and consumption of alcohol in places where Council is concerned that this may contribute to disorderly behaviour and criminal offending.




Can't find what you are looking for?

Try our A-Z of Services, FAQs or search the site. Let us know about it. Use our feedback form or email us.

File types

To view PDF files, you may need to download Adobe Reader.

Get Adobe Reader.

Having trouble opening a PDF with Google Chrome? Read more