Skip to Content

Building Consents

Renwick Sports Centre being built.

Building Framing for a House.

All building work requires a building consent before any work can start. This includes: alterations, additions, new buildings, plumbing, demolition work, drainage, bridges, farm buildings, marquees and the installation of log-fires.

If you are proposing to do any building work then we recommend that you apply for a Project Information Memorandum as soon as the floor plan, elevations and site plan are completed. Information provided with the Project Information Memorandum may be necessary to finalise the building consent application. Getting the Project Information Memorandum first may also speed up the building consent process.

The Marlborough District Council targets a 20-day turn-around in processing applications for building consents but often consents are processed in quicker time.

Anyone planning building work should note that consents cannot be issued after the work has been done. The consent must be issued before any work starts, and all the work must be inspected by Council to ensure that the project meets Building Code standards.

See the frequently asked questions for quick answers to common questions.

Council has brochures which cover many building matters, these are available below:

 Link to:

Restricted Building Work


 PDF DocumentBuilding Post September 2016 (711 Kb)

See property smart map.
Image link to building consent smart map.
Image link to e-plan - online resource management plan.