Skip to Content

Primary Industries' Earthquake Relief Fund

Primary Industries' Earthquake Relief Fund for the Hurunui, Kaikoura and Marlborough Districts

Deadline extended

The deadline for to the fund has been extended. Applicants now have until 31 March 2017 to submit an application.

Earthquake Relief Fund Workshops Feb-March 2017

PDF DocumentDates and locations of workshops from 27 February to 13 March

About the Earthquake Relief Fund

The Government announced $4 million towards a primary industries earthquake relief fund to help towards repair costs for some uninsurable infrastructure repairs across the Hurunui, Kaikōura and Marlborough districts.

Who can apply?

The fund is to assist rural people whose principal income comes from a primary industry which is either well-established or in the developmental stage.

The funding may only be allocated in the form of a grant to help pay for costs associated with:

  • Restoring uninsurable primary sector infrastructure
  • Re-establishing uninsurable pasture (on cultivatable land only), crops, and forestry
  • Initial clean-up of silt and debris (where uninsurable)

This could include: some on-farm access roads, tracks, races, bridges without sides, dams and reservoirs, as these are generally uninsurable.

  • Priority will be given to essential repairs to continue farming, such as roadside boundary fencing; boundary fencing; access tracks and stock water supplies.
  • Any grant will be a contribution towards repairs, up to a maximum of 50% of the cost.
  • The damage must exceed $12,000 for total you to be considered for assistance.
  • An excess of $5000 will be deducted from the 50% that is eligible for funding. The amount awarded may be adjusted if eligible funding requests exceed the $4million available.
  • The maximum any one entity could receive from the Fund is $50,000.
  • Funding may be available where the cost of repairs (e.g. to fences, water reticulation) exceeds the limited cover provided by insurance. Applicants will need to deduct any insured amount that can be claimed from insurers.
  • Funding is not available for repairs that can be insured, but were not.

How do I know whether to do repairs or not?

  • Don't wait for the Earthquake Relief Fund to make essential repairs. Contact EQC for your dwelling, and your insurer as soon as possible. Document, photograph and keep receipts for work carried out.
  • Due to the large amount of damage caused by the 7.8 earthquake, the total repair costs will be greater than the $4 million available. People are advised to make repairs that they can afford, rather than have expectations that they will definitely receive a grant.
  • You don’t have to have repairs completed before applying for a grant.

What is primary industry?

“Primary industry” for this purpose includes the primary production of meat, wool, or dairy products, arable farming, aquaculture, horticulture, viticulture, forestry, sharemilking, an orchard, apiculture, herb or flower growing, a market garden, poultry farming, and fishing (including paua, crayfish, finfish) but does not include hobby farming (such as lifestyle blocks).

For more information or help with questions please contact your local Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP)

How to apply

Keep or gather any evidence or information you have about the cost of repairs, and that they are uninsurable.

Fill in the application form below and either print and post or email by 31 March 2017 to:


Post: PI Earthquake Relief Fund, Marlborough District Council
15 Seymour Street PO Box 443, Blenheim 7240

Where can I get help with my application?

If you do not know if your repairs are insured or not, you will need to talk to your insurer and EQC.

If you have any questions please check the FAQs, and you can contact your local Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP).

When will I find out if I am successful?

Decisions will be made by 31 March and you will be advised of the outcome of your application shortly after.

Where can I get assistance if I don’t qualify for a grant?

Support and assistance is available from several different sources, which you can find out about here:

Other forms of assistance include:

  • Contact Federated Farmers on 0800 FARMING to lodge requests for, or offers of, help on the farm. All requests and offers are being managed through their central system. Calls are answered 24 hours a day and they are working with and referring people to the other relevant agencies.
  • Contact your local Rural Support Trust on 0800 RURAL HELP for a free, private and confidential chat. They can come to see you and, if needed, point you in the right direction for further assistance.
  • The North Canterbury and Top of the South RSTs have someone answering the phone 24/7 over the Christmas and New Year period.
  • The Government Helpline is open for calls on all government support available, on 0800 779 997 from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday.
  • If your circumstances have changed as a result of the earthquake, talk to your accountant, bank, and Work and Income to see what other assistance you may be eligible for.



Can't find what you are looking for?

Try our A-Z of Services, FAQs or search the site. Let us know about it. Use our feedback form or email us.

File types

To view PDF files, you may need to download Adobe Reader.

Get Adobe Reader.

Having trouble opening a PDF with Google Chrome? Read more