Fire Management

Share this page


Fire Management

Burning in the Blenheim Airshed

Under the Proposed Marlborough Environment Plan, which Council is required to enforce, you cannot have an open-air fire within the Blenheim Airshed, even if you have a fire permit issued by Fire and Emergency New Zealand.

Are you in the Blenheim Airshed?

If you're unsure if you're in the Blenheim airshed, it's important to check before you light a fire outdoors. To check, type your address in the Blenheim Airshed Smart Map.

Check if I'm in the Blenheim Airshed

From 1 July 2018, Fire and Emergency New Zealand has taken over all responsibility for fire management.

What does this mean for you?

Fire permits

Fire permits are no longer administered by Marlborough District Council.

  • To check the current fire season status; or
  • To see if you need a fire permit; or
  • To apply for a fire permit

Go to Check it's alright to light on the Fire and Emergency New Zealand website

Vegetation fire hazards

If there's a property in your neighbourhood that you believe is a health or safety hazard due to an unkempt section, you might first try talking to the property owner.

If this does not resolve the problem, contact us here at Marlborough District Council to report a concern that does not present a fire risk, such hording and other nuisance issues including vermin control.

If your concern is a fire risk, you can let Fire and Emergency New Zealand know about your concern by completing their online form or calling 0800 336 942.

Go to Fire and Emergency New Zealand's overgrown sections form