NWCCP in Marlborough
Under the NWCCP, Marlborough District Council acts in a regional leadership/facilitation role and receives the Central Government funding, which is determined through a detailed process of planning and prioritisation. Council works very closely with the various agencies (MPI, DOC, LINZ) and community trusts (MSRT, SMLRT) in its capacity as regional fund-holder'. Partnership with tangata whenua iwi is also delivered through both the Kotahitanga mo te Taiao Alliance and direct engagement by DOC with Treaty partners.
Given the scale of the programmes, on behalf of the stakeholders, Council enters into agreements with programme managers who organise and oversee the delivery of the on-ground works required. This engagement includes the programme managers procuring delivery contractors in accordance with the appropriate procurement guidelines.
As of 1 July 2020, the three areas of Marlborough have been prioritised to receive core NWCCP investment. They are:
- Molesworth/Rangitahi - a 231,141ha management unit predominantly made up of Molesworth Recreation Reserve plus surrounding areas.
- Programme Manager - Boffa Miskell Ltd.
- Contact: Sian ReynoldsEmail Sian
- Waihopai - a 75,401ha management unit comprising large areas of public conservation land from Lake Alexandra, Ferny Gair, Spray and Waihopai catchments across to the Wye/Breezer catchments in the Wairau Valley.
- Sounds - a 204,588ha management unit comprising the Marlborough Sounds and feeder catchments.
- Programme Manager - Marlborough Sounds Restoration Trust.
- Contact: Andrew MacalisterEmail Andrew
Additionally, the South Marlborough Landscape Restoration Trust is also delivering community-led programmes within the Awatere Management Unit and also Lower Wairau Management Unit as a result of some Community Partnership Funding from the NWCCP in 2020/21.
- South Marlborough Landscape Restoration Trust.
- Contact: Ket BradshawEmail Ket
Feel free to contact the programme managers directly in relation to these programmes or alternatively contact Council's Biosecurity Manager Jono Underwood (03) 520 7400.
NWCCP Management Units
Under the NWCCP, the country has been broken up into Management Units for the purposes of Wilding Pine control. These units for Marlborough can be seen on the map below.