What Climate Changes are we Expecting?
No matter what we do now, we are going to face some changes. Indeed, we can see the changes already. What is not certain is what the extent of the changes will be. The Ministry for Environment has information on the changes expected for each region.
Local Government Leaders Climate Change Declaration 2017
Council is a signatory to the Local Government Leaders Climate Change Declaration. The declaration was signed by many Mayors and Chairs of Councils across New Zealand in 2017. The declaration recognises the urgent need for responsive leadership and a holistic approach to climate change.
- acknowledges the importance and urgent need to address climate change for the benefit of current and future generations.
- gives support to the New Zealand Government for developing and implementing, in collaboration with councils, communities and businesses, an ambitious transition plan toward a low carbon and resilient New Zealand.
- encourages Government to be more ambitious with climate change mitigation measures.
- outlines key commitments councils will take in responding to the opportunities and risks posed by climate change.
- recommends important guiding principles for responding to climate change.
Local Government Position Statement on Climate Change 2017
The position statement recognises that responsive leadership and a holistic approach to climate change is urgent. It says that we must act now to avoid future risk and, at the same time, agree how to manage safety, existing risks, limitations and liabilities to underpin effective mitigation and adaptation.