Marlborough District Council works with the New Zealand Historic Places
Trust, Tangata Whenua, and the local community (including stakeholders, land
owners, community members and other organisations) to identify heritage
resources and trees and where appropriate, provide protection for them.
This is achieved by maintaining a Register of Significant Heritage Resources, contained within Marlborough's Resource Management Plans.
These profiles are a selection from Council's Register to provide further information on some of the heritage buildings, sites and places in Marlborough.
To view the entire Register:
How things change and how quickly we forget. 10 years ago the Blenheim Railway Station stood on Sinclair Street (State Highway 1).
In Sep 1889 the Blenheim Borough Council received a request to erect a band rotunda in Market Place in central Blenheim.
At Dunbar Wharf in Picton is the timber hull of the Edwin Fox, one of the world's oldest surviving ships.
Oxley's Hotel, originally known as the 'Bank Hotel', was built around 1870. More info
The Rai Valley Cottage was built in 1881 by Charles Turner. Charles and his family were the first people to settle in the remote Rai Valley.
St Mary's Catholic Church, which is a New Zealand Historic Places Trust Category 1 building has national significance.
One of Picton's prominent landmarks, the Smith House, is an excellent example of an Italianate style villa.