William Henry Macey was a Blenheim mayor and a studio photographer whose images are still held at Te Papa today.
Born on April 14, 1850 in London, Mr Macey arrived in New Zealand aboard the ship Indian Queen aged 7.
Blenheim photographer William Collie taught Mr Macey his craft and they entered a business partnership in 1870. Four years later Mr Macey took over the business and set up his own studio in Market Place including a dark room, studio, displays, lighting, waiting rooms and store room. Mr Macey provided studio sets, props and backdrops for his customers, and even provided clothing for them to wear in portraits. He also took photographs at home and opened branches in Havelock and Picton from 1902. The studio closed in 1915.
Mr Macey, a Justice of the Peace, was active throughout the community, including nine years of involvement with the Blenheim Borough Council and becoming Blenheim Mayor from 1903 and 1904.
He was among the founders of the Blenheim Bowling Club, a trustee for the Independent Order of Oddfellows, a member of the Marlborough Club, a member of the Wairau Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Education Board and High School Board of Governors and a Marlborough School Commissioner.
Mr Macey died in 1931, aged 81.