Council has allocated ten percent of the annual Small Townships budget (around $50,000) for small, low cost infrastructure projects on outdoor public spaces. Applications are accepted for individual projects up to $10,000.
Any organisation or group that represents a small township or community in Marlborough can apply. This does not include Blenheim and Picton/Waikawa whose projects are funded differently, or townships that are on the Small Townships Programme. In 2020 these towns are Canvastown, Havelock, Renwick, Wairau Valley, Spring Creek and Ward.
The criteria that will be used to assess the applications will be whether the project:
- Improves an outdoor public space
- Includes a high level of community involvement and support.
- Is able to be completed within one year
- Best meets the objectives of the programme to:
- Design a liveable town with an attractive central space
- Allow freedom of movement, connectivity and accessibility
- Strengthen a sense of place and unique local identity
- Enhance the use, enjoyment and pride in outdoor public spaces.