The Commercial Events Fund is open to any event managers/organisers that run commercial events in New Zealand. The event must be held within Marlborough District Council boundaries. Community events, conferences, conventions, trade shows and exhibitions are not eligible for this funding.
The next funding round, Round 1 of 2019/2020, is now closed. Round 2 will open on Monday 10 February 2020.
The Commercial Events Fund supports the goals outlined in the Regional Events Strategy.
The vision states that:
"Marlborough hosts quality events, year round, that are interesting and enjoyable for our community and visitors. Through our events we will attract locals and visitors to regularly play and stay in Marlborough. Our events will be good for our economy, society and environment. They will showcase what it is to ‘live’ Marlborough.”
A framework has been compiled to guide decision-making in terms of fund allocation, however; it will need to be applied in a flexible manner to recognise the benefits of the event portfolio as a whole. The figures should be viewed as a guide only and flexibility must be retained depending on the merit of the applications received and the overall balance of events.
- Whilst this funding is available on an annual basis, it does not mean that all funds must be distributed each year. For any event to receive funding it must first meet the funding criteria
- The above total includes Council's Bid Fund which is used to attract potential events to the region as opportunities arise. These opportunities are considered on a case-by-case basis.
An Events Fund Sub-Committee will evaluate the funding application and recommendations made by the Regional Events Advisor for final approval. The funding panel will consist of the following people:
- Councillor Michael Fitzpatrick (Chairperson)
- Councillor Thelma Sowman
- Councillor Jamie Arbuckle
- Councillor Barbara Faulls
- Destination Marlborough Representative (DM Board Chair or nominee).
Independent advice may also be sought by the panel as deemed necessary.
The Regional Events Advisor will attend funding meetings and provide further information and feedback but the final funding decisions and recommendations will be at the discretion of the sub-committee.
The Events Fund Sub-Committee will have delegated authority to approve all funding requests and will report all decisions to the Planning, Finance and Community Committee.
The 2019/2020 funding rounds will be structured as below:
2019/20 - Round 1
|Applications opened||Monday 19 August 2019|
|Applications closed||Monday 16 September 2019 (5.00 pm)|
|Decision made by||Friday 25 October 2019|
2019/20 - Round 2
|Applications open||Monday 10 February 2020|
|Applications closed||Monday 9 March 2020 (5.00 pm)|
|Decision made by||Friday 24 April 2020|
- Additional funding rounds may be considered if deemed necessary
- All events receiving funding must complete a Post Event Report within three months of completing the event
If you have any questions, please contact Samantha Young, Regional Events Advisor Ph: 03 520 7400.
All recipients of funds from the Commercial Events Fund must complete this form within three months after their event is completed.