Manager's Certificates


COVID-19 Alert Level 2 information

See information and updates relating to Council services during Alert Level 2 - including our offices, customer service centres and online services.

Share this page


Manager's Certificates

Applying for a Manager's Certificate

If you are a duty manager in a licensed premises, you are responsible for making sure that the staff and premises follow the rules of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012. To be a duty manager, you must have a Manager’s Certificate; holders of this certificate are experienced in the sale and supply of alcohol and are familiar with the rules and regulations of the Act.

To apply for a Manager's Certificate, you must have at least 3 months relevant experience in a licenced premises, be working in the industry at the time of application and be over 20 years of age.

You will need to have completed a course in the sale and supply of alcohol and hold the Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).

Complete the Manager's Certificate application

  • To qualify for a Licence Controller Qualification, you must complete a course in the sale and supply of alcohol, show that you are aware of the host responsibility requirements you will have as a duty manager, and have knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 and its implications for licensed premises.

  • You can take a course locally. These courses are run by approved course providers. Council’s Customer Service Centre can provide leaflets and contact details for these organisations. For more information on the LCQ, visit the Service IQ website or phone: 0800 275 4474.

    Go to Service IQ website

  • Complete the online application form, call into our Customer Service Centre to collect one, or contact us and we can post you a form.

    • Completed application form
    • Copy of current driver’s licence/passport
    • Application fee
    • Copy of licence controller’s qualification
    • Reference/s from employer/s documenting applicant’s experience
    • If you work in a club, you will also need to provide a letter from the club with details of your involvement with the club
  • The fee must be paid when you lodge your application.

    See our fees page

  • A copy of your application will be sent to the New Zealand Police, who will do a report on you and make a recommendation on your application. If Police approval is granted, your application is sent to the Licensing Inspector, who will contact you to arrange an interview.

    Following that, and if there are no objections, the file is forwarded to the District Licensing Committee for final approval and certificate issue. If there is an objection by either the Police or Licensing Inspector, a hearing will be held by the District Licensing Committee.

  • Allow six to eight weeks.

  • Yes.

  • A new Manager’s Certificate is valid for one year from the date of issue. After this year, each time you renew your certificate it is valid for three years.

    Ensure Council has an up-to-date address for you, as we will send you a reminder when your certificate becomes due for renewal. However, whether or not you received your reminder notice, it is your responsibility to keep the certificate current and to reapply on time.

    You will need to complete the Manager’s Certificate renewal application form, and attach a copy of your Licence Controller Qualification. You will also need to be working within the industry.

    Processing a renewal takes a similar time to processing a new application.

  • Contact a Licensing Inspector at Marlborough District Council to discuss your particular situation

  • You will need to apply for a new Manager’s Certificate. This means you will need to provide all the documentation required for a new application. Contact the Alcohol Administration Officer at Marlborough District Council on phone: 03 520 7400.

  • A person appointed by the licensee to manage a licensed premises while that person's application for a Manager's Certificate is being processed.

    The notification form to tell us of the appointment of a temporary or acting manager can be found on our forms page.

    Go to forms page

  • A person appointed by the licensee to manage a licensed premises for up to three weeks, usually while the duty manager or licensee is on leave.

    For more information on a situation where you may have to appoint a temporary or acting manager, please contact a Licensing Officer at Marlborough District Council to discuss your particular situation.