Building Consents


Walking tracks closed to high fire danger

The hot, dry summer has forced the closure of upper tracks in Victoria Domain, and Wither Hills Farm Park.

Share this page


Building Consents

All building work requires a building consent before any work can start. This includes: alterations, additions, new buildings, plumbing, demolition work, drainage, bridges, farm buildings, marquees and the installation of log fires.

If you are proposing to do any building work then we recommend that you apply for a Project Information Memorandum as soon as the floor plan, elevations and site plan are completed. Information provided with the Project Information Memorandum may be necessary to finalise the building consent application. Getting the Project Information Memorandum first may also speed up the building consent process.

Go to Project Information Memorandum (PIM) page

The Marlborough District Council targets a 20-day turnaround in processing applications for building consents, but often consents are processed in quicker time.

Anyone planning building work should note that consents cannot be issued after the work has been done. The consent must be issued before any work starts, and all the work must be inspected by Council to ensure that the project meets Building Code standards.

See the frequently asked questions for quick answers to common questions

Council has brochures which cover many building matters, these are available below:

Useful Websites