Certificates for public use (CPU)


August Weather Event 2022

Information relating to the recent weather event in Marlborough

Share this page


Certificates for public use (CPU)

A Certificate for Public Use (CPU) may apply to building work where the public can enter. For a public building, the public cannot be permitted to enter until the Code Compliance Certificate is issued. The only way a portion of the building can be used is to obtain a Certificate for Public Use.

This is a document issued by Council to allow parts of a building to be used by the public before the Code Compliance Certificate is issued. The CPU will only be issued if the portions of the building involved are safe and sanitary and safety features, such as fire warning systems, are in place and operational. CPUs are intended to allow significant development to be built and occupied in stages.

Go to MBIE's website on public access while building or altering a public building

View Building Services fees web page for associated costs