FAQs - CCCs and COAs 2


COVID-19 Red level information

Like the rest of New Zealand, Marlborough moved to the Red level of the Covid-19 Protection Framework (the traffic light system) at 11.59 pm on Sunday 23 January.

Share this page


FAQs - CCCs and COAs 2

  • A Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) is a formal statement issued under Section 95 of the Building Act 2004, stating that the work carried out under the building consent complies with the building consent and the Building Code.

    The building consent process is not complete until a Code Compliance Certificate has been issued. A Code Compliance Certificate is issued by Council once all information is provided and is correct, and that all building work complies with the building consent. You should apply for a Code Compliance Certificate within two years of the date your building consent was issued.

    To obtain a Code Compliance Certificate you will need to arrange and have completed a final inspection and complete the application for CCC form. A copy of the form was included with your building consent.

  • A Code Compliance Certificate can only be issued for a building that has a building consent. The certificate is issued when the building project is completed, all required documentation has been provided and Council has completed the required inspections to ensure the work complies with the New Zealand Building Code.

    If you have a building consent but no Code Compliance Certificate, then contact the Council if the work is fully completed and the required documentation has been collected. A final inspection will be made before the certificate is issued.

  • If the Building is for use by the public or the public can be admitted to it then it is unlawful to occupy the building without a Code Compliance Certificate or a CPU. (A Certificate for Public Use is a document issued by Council to allow a part of a building to be used by the public before the Code Compliance Certificate is issued.)

    Houses and other residential buildings can be used without a Code Compliance Certificate but the certificate should be obtained as soon as possible.

  • Certificates of Acceptance may be issued by the Council for work that required a building consent, but has been carried out without that consent having first been obtained.

    It allows for certification of work that has for example been carried out urgently because of safety issues, and where there has not been time to apply for and obtain a building consent because of that emergency.

    View information regarding certificate of acceptance on the MBIE website

  • A Certificate of Acceptance must be applied for by submitting the form, Application for a Certificate of Acceptance, along with all other required documentation to Council. Before the Certificate of Acceptance application is accepted a pre-application meeting with the COA processing officer is also required.

    Further information on how to apply for a Certificate of Acceptance on our website