You can keep four cats over the age of three months. If you want to keep more than four cats you will need to get a multiple cat licence. To apply, complete the application form below and send to Council's Compliance Department.
In considering whether to grant a licence, the following will be taken into account:
- The suitability of the land on which the cats will be kept
- The effect of the additional cats on the surrounding neighbourhood
- The likelihood of the cats becoming a nuisance
- Health issues
- Housing and location of property boundary
- Cat waste
- Potential effects on native birds
The fee for a multiple cat licence is $75. (Please note the SPCA or other animal shelter or a veterinary clinic or cattery are exempt)
For more information, see Chapter 7 of the Marlborough District Council (MDC) Animals Bylaw 2017.
Please note Animal Control do not have responsibility for the keeping of cats or cat nuisances.
Abandoned and sick or injured domestic cats
Contact SPCA Marlborough if you come across an abandoned or injured domestic cat.
If you catch a feral cat, you are responsible for disposing of it humanely. This can be done by your vet (for a fee).