How does this affect you and your canine companion?
See lists of the areas in Marlborough where:
- Dogs can be exercised off-leash
- Dogs can be exercised but must be on a leash at all times
- Areas where dogs are prohibited
- Download a complete copy of the bylaw from our Dog Control Bylaw page
- Collect your copy from Council offices in Blenheim or Picton
Marlborough District Council Dog Control Policy 2021
Council recognises that dogs can play a positive role in society and provide enjoyment and health benefits for individuals and families. This policy seeks to achieve a balance between the control of dogs and recognition of the community benefits of responsible dog ownership.
Animal Control has the function of administering the Dog Control Act 1996 and the Marlborough District Council (MDC) Dog Control Bylaw 2021.
This primarily involves dealing with complaints about dog nuisances and attacks and ensuring that all dogs are correctly registered. There is also a strong education focus.
Currently Marlborough has approximately 10,000 registered dogs, the majority of which are non-working dogs. Background information regarding dog control policy and practices in Marlborough can be obtained from the Section 10A Report.