About dog registration
It is the dog owner's responsibility to ensure their dog is correctly registered with their local authority.
Not only is it part of being a responsible dog owner, it is a legal requirement.
Your dog must wear a current registration tag to ensure your dog can be identified. The 2017/2018 registration colour was red. The 2018/2019 registration colour is green. If your dog is found not wearing the correct registration tag it may be deemed as unregistered.
Dog registration guidelines:
- Only one person can be the registered owner of a dog
- If you are under 16 years of age, the dog must be registered under a parent's or guardian's name
- The registration period is from 1 July to 30 June each year (expiry date is on the registration tag)
- Register your dog by 1 July each year
- The registration fee may be reduced if you have your dog de-sexed and microchipped, you and your dog are not classified, you have not been prosecuted or received any infringements
- If your registration fees are paid after 31 July late penalties will apply
All dogs over three months old are required to be registered. Each dog should be registered at the address where they spend the majority of time.
If you are registering your dog for the first time:
- Download dog registration form. Send completed registration form and any relevant documents to Animal Control, either via email: firstname.lastname@example.org, by post, or in person at Council's Customer Service Centres.
If you already have a dog or dogs registered in Marlborough, you will also be able to register any additional dogs using online dog services.
If your dog has been previously registered with Marlborough District Council, your registration tag will expire on 30 June each year. All dog registration fees need to be paid by 1 July. After 31 July late penalty fees will apply.
Renewal forms are sent in June each year. Please contact Animal Control if you don't receive your renewal form. Remember, it is your responsibility to ensure your dog is registered annually.
Remember that the registration period is very busy for Animal Control and there may be queues at the Animal Control office. During this time there is a 'fast registration box' for completed registration forms together with the correct payment. Alternatively, you can pay online using online dog services.
When you receive your annual registration form you can:
- Pay by credit card online or over the counter
- Pay by internet banking (see link below) and send the registration form to Animal Control
- Send the registration form and payment to Animal Control (see forms link below)
- Visit the Animal Control office or Picton Customer Service Centre
Haven't received your annual registration form?
If you haven't received your annual registration form by the end of June, please contact Animal Control.
Updating your details?
If you're changing the address your dog is kept at or your postal address, moving out of Marlborough, changing dog owner, your dog has been desexed or microchipped, or has died, you must let us know.
Disability assist dogs are able to accompany their owners to places otherwise banned to dogs, such as restaurants.
Dog registration fees for Marlborough.
Registration, transfer of ownership or address, dog tag replacement and other dog registration forms can be found on this page.
You can pay your registration fees by internet banking.
There are two categories of non-working dogs: Category 1 and Category 2.
Online dog services enables dog owners to update dog records and renew and pay registration fees online.
A special licence is required to keep more than two dogs on a property for more than 14 days, except in particular rural areas.
There are two easy ways you can reduce your annual dog registration fee and be a responsible dog owner.
A dog must wear a blue registration tag to show it has been registered for this year.
Details of how annual dog registration fees are used.
If you consider your dog is used solely or principally for herding or driving stock, you will need to apply for working dog status.