A special licence is required to keep more than two dogs on a property in the Marlborough district for a period of more than 14 days, except in particular rural areas.
The permit is for the property where your dogs are kept and places certain conditions on keeping dogs on that property. Some of these are:
- How the dog is confined - is the housing/structure/compound appropriate for the size and number of dogs?
- Is an appropriate exercise area available?
- Is the property securely fenced and the dogs housed an appropriate distance from adjoining properties or boundaries?
- History of complaints against dog/s
These conditions are designed to prevent your dogs from becoming a problem to you or your neighbours and if they are not met, Marlborough District Council may withdraw your licence.
Once you have the licence, you need to renew it only if:
- You move from one property to another
- You increase the number of dogs at the property for which you hold a licence
The property licence fee is the same regardless of the number of dogs you have on the property.
Please note: all properties that hold current licences will be reinspected every three years, unless complaints or concerns are received, Animal Control will then carry out an immediate inspection.