A special licence is required to keep more than two dogs over the age of three months on a property in the Marlborough district for a period of more than 14 days, except in land situated within rural zones.
The limit of two dogs applies irrespective of the number of people residing in or using the land or premise.
The permit is for the property where your dogs are kept and places certain conditions on keeping dogs on that property. Some of these are:
- How the dog is confined - is the housing/structure/compound appropriate for the size, breed and number of dogs?
- Is an appropriate exercise area available?
- Is the property securely fenced and the dogs housed an appropriate distance from adjoining properties or boundaries?
- Any previous history of complaints against dog/s.
These conditions are designed to prevent your dogs from becoming a problem to you or your neighbours and if they are not met, Marlborough District Council may revoke your licence.
Once you have the licence, you need to renew it only if:
- You move from one property to another; and/or
- You increase the number of dogs at the property for which you hold a licence.
The multiple dog licence fee is the same regardless of the number of dogs you have on the property.
Please note: if any complaints or concerns are received, Animal Control will carry out an inspection of the property and additional conditions may be imposed or the Multiple Dog Licence could be revoked.