A Guide to Get Registered


Marlborough is at Orange

Marlborough is at Orange level of the Covid-19 Protection Framework (the traffic light system).

Share this page


A Guide to Get Registered

1. Where do I fit?

Use the tool from the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI); alternatively, talk to someone in the environmental health team at Council, if you are unsure.

Use the where do I fit tool

2. Create

Print off or purchase (from Council) a template Food Control Plan (FCP) and fill in the relevant sections.

Print off MPI Food safety Food Control Plan

Alternatively, if you are registering a National Programme, you will need to meet food safety requirements and determine if there are records you will need to keep.

View the National Programme guidance documents from MPI

3. Register

Apply at Council using the application form and scope document, along with payment of the application fee.
Please note: N.P.s must engage a third party verifier and supply a letter to confirm that they will verify your operation.
You will need to bring along your completed template food control plan for someone in the Environmental Health team to check over to ensure you are on the right track for operating.

4. Operate

Follow the plan and make appropriate records of all the required information, as soon as the registration has been accepted.

5. Verification

Get your business verified on time. FCPs will be done by a Council Environmental Health Officer. The time and day will be arranged with you prior however it is your responsibility to ensure that the business is verified on time. The officer will come on site to view the operations and go over sections of the plan in depth. Further verifications follow a timeframe depending on the outcome of the verification. New businesses must have an initial verification undertaken within 1 month of operating and existing businesses must be verified within 12 months.

6. Renew

Renew your registration before it expires; annually for FCPs or biennially for National Programmes.

7. Consider

When you are ready to get your business up and running you must consider whether you will need a building consent, resource consent or tradewaste consent and grease trap.

See the Duty Planner service information page for a resource consent

If you are undertaking any building, plumbing, drainage work you will require a building consent before you start. Changes of use of a building may also require approval.

See the Duty Building Service information page for information on building consents

See the Tradewaste page for information on tradewaste consent and grease trap

Any business wanting to operate selling alcohol will need to apply for a licence.

Apply for a licence to sell alcohol