August Weather Event 2022

Information relating to the recent weather event in Marlborough

Share this page



What is a Land Information Memorandum (LIM)?

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report prepared by Marlborough District Council at your request. It provides information in terms of section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 on matters affecting land and buildings on a particular property as at the day the LIM is produced.

Who can apply for a LIM?

Anyone. Those involved in a property transaction: buyers, sellers, real estate agents, lawyers and lenders are some of the people who may find a LIM useful.

Why should I get a LIM?

A LIM can be a useful tool in the sale and purchase of a property, as it provides a summary of the information Council holds on the property as required to be disclosed under section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, and any other information Council deems to be relevant to the property.

Anyone can apply for a LIM, but it should be noted that a LIM report is confidential to the person who ordered the report. Council cannot disclose the contents of a LIM report to a third party.

How is a LIM different to just viewing the property file at Council?

In addition to viewing the property file other sources are checked. This includes but is not limited to:

  • Council’s electronic filing system
  • Resource consents relating to the property
  • Council graphic information systems (GIS)
  • Circulation to relevant departments within Council
  • Historical planning checks
  • Aerial photograph
  • Zoning information

What information will I find in a LIM?

The information required to be contained in a LIM is set out in Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, which can be viewed by clicking on the link below.

Section 44A Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987

While Marlborough District Council provides information it holds relating to land/property as required to be disclosed under section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, it does not provide interpretation of this information or advice on how to interpret or utilise this information. Your own independent and appropriate professional advice should be sought.

How do I apply for a LIM?

You can also call us on Ph: 03 520 7400 to request a copy or to request a copy to be faxed to you.

A copy of the Certificate of Title must be provided with the application. It is best to get a historical search copy of the title. This will contain both current title data and historical data such as previous owners. A current search copy will only provide current title details, and in some instances, may restrict the search of Council’s records regarding the property. Council can provide the Certificate of Title for a fee of $20 per title if required. Details can be found on the application form.

How long will it take to get a LIM?

Legislation requires the LIM be issued within 10 working days; however, the LIM will be issued earlier should timeframes allow.

How much does it cost?

  • $322 for a residential LIM
  • $557 for a commercial/rural LIM

LIM payment can be made at the time of application, or you can be invoiced for the cost of the LIM.

What’s the difference between a Residential and a Commercial/Rural LIM?


  • Any property under 2.5 hectares used for residential purposes only, with no commercial, farm or other rural use


  • Any property over 2.5 hectares
  • Any property that has a commercial, industrial or rural use. Some examples of rural use include: viticulture, horticulture, farming and forestry

What if a property has more than one Certificate of Title or Council Property Number?

If the properties are adjoining, owned by the same person and operated as one entity, then generally we can process the LIM request as one application, although there can be exceptions. A member of the LIM team will notify you of what applies for the property/properties referred to in your application. Please note if there are multiple titles, we will need all relevant Certificates of Title.