Frequently Asked Questions


Marlborough is at Orange

Marlborough is at Orange level of the Covid-19 Protection Framework (the traffic light system).

Share this page


Frequently Asked Questions

  • You can pay via Internet Banking with the following details:

    • Payee name: Marlborough District Council
    • Payee Account No: 020600 0202861 08

    Details to Appear on Payee Statement:

    1. Code - Vehicle Registration Number
    2. Particulars - Name (surname and then your initials)
    3. Reference - Infringement Number


    Pay online using a Credit Card or Debit Card (Visa or Mastercard)
    Go to our online services section and scroll down and select 'Parking Infringement Notice Payment', and follow the prompts.

    Go to the 'Pay Parking Infringement Online' section of our website


    Pay with cash, in person, at any branch of the BNZ or by EFTPOS at the Picton Library, 2 Dublin street, Picton.

  • If you're trying to pay online through our 'Online Services' section of our website, and the infringement notice details are not showing, it may be because the infringement was issued within the last 24 hours. If this is the case, please try again later or the next day.

    If the problem persists, please phone us on 03 520 8330, or email us.

    Email Marlborough Roads

  • If you have lost your infringement number, please contact us with your vehicle’s licence plate number, the date of the offence and we'll provide you the infringement notice number.

    If the problem persists, please phone us on 03 520 8330, or email us.

    Email Marlborough Roads

  • The infringement notice payment is due 28 days from the issued date.

  • If the infringement is not paid on or before the 28 days, we will send you a reminder notice. The reminder notice gives you another 28 days to pay before the infringement notice is referred to the Ministry of Justice.

  • If the infringement is lodged with the Ministry of Justice it means:

    Marlborough District Council cannot accept payment or review the infringement once it is lodged with the Ministry of Justice.

    The Ministry of Justice will add a Court fee to the infringement.

    To pay or for more information, please go to the Ministry of Justice website.

  • If you have paid your infringement and then received a reminder notice, please ignore the reminder notice.

    If you would like to confirm that we have received your payment, you'll need to contact us.

    If the problem persists, please phone us on 03 520 8330, or email us.

    Email Marlborough Roads

  • The infringement notice process is set out in various statutes including the Land Transport Act 1998 and the Summary Proceedings Act 1957.

    See Land Transport Act 1998

    View the Summary Proceedings Act 1957

  • Please use the 'Stationary Vehicle Offence Infringement Notice Explanation' form to report to us who was driving or in charge of the vehicle at the time the infringement was issued.

    Please provide as many relevant details as possible, including the other person's full name, residential address and date of birth. The Marlborough District Council may then consider forwarding the notice to them.

    Go to web page with 'Statutory Declaration in Respect of a Stationary Vehicle Offence form'

  • When a vehicle is bought or sold, both the buyer and the seller are legally required to independently notify the NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) of the sale and purchase. They must do this without delay.

    However, there are times when one or both of the parties have not advised the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) to update their records to show the newly registered person's name. This is probably the reason why you have received a reminder notice for a parking infringement.

    If you have not advised NZTA on the sale or purchase of your vehicle, you need to do so as soon as possible.

    Go to NZTA web page to see instructions on what buyers and sellers do to change vehicle ownership

    To update or check your address details you need to also go to the NZTA website.

    Check or update your address details on the NZTA website

    If you receive an infringement notice for a vehicle after you had notified NZTA of the sale of the vehicle, you can request a transfer of liability to the new owner.

  • A brief summary of your legal rights is noted on the reverse of your parking fine/infringement notice. Please read it carefully to find out if you would benefit from appealing.

    You have 56 days from the time you receive a parking ticket to submit an appeal.

    To appeal a parking ticket/infringement, download and complete the 'Appeal a parking ticket form' at the page below.

    Go to web page with the 'Appeal a parking infringement' form

    Fill out the form with as much detail as possible. Please check whether you have grounds for appeal. (refer to question 12 below).

    Send your completed form to Marlborough Roads:
    Parking Administrator
    Marlborough Roads
    PO Box 1031
    Blenheim 7240


    Scan and email your completed form to Marlborough Roads.

    Email Marlborough Roads

    Marlborough Roads seeks to be fair and will consider matters that you raise with us about the circumstances in which the infringement notice was issued.

  • You can appeal a parking ticket for the following reasons:

    • If you had a medical emergency that prevented, you from removing your vehicle
    • Your vehicle was broken down and you could not move it
    • You were detained by the police
    • Your vehicle was stolen

    Please note that supporting documentation is required for all of the above reasons

  • The following are the general reasons why a parking ticket appeal would be refused:

    • if you lost track of the time or it took longer than you expected, e.g. dentist appointment
    • if other vehicles were parked illegally or inconsiderately
    • if you didn't see the sign, or you did not understand the parking sign
    • had a permit but were not displaying it at the time
    • went to get change (you are only entitled to 11 minutes for this)
    • were picking up or dropping off a passenger
    • if other vehicles were parked illegally or inconsiderately.
  • You would have very little reason to appeal if:

    • you received an Infringement Notice and the vehicle's Warrant of Fitness (WoF) or Certificate of Fitness (CoF) expired more than 28 days prior to the date your infringement notice was issued. (It is also unlikely the Infringement Notice will be cancelled even if a new inspection was obtained after the fine was issued).
    • if the vehicle's Motor Vehicle License (Rego) expired more than 28 days prior to the date the Infringement Notice was issued. It is unlikely the Infringement Notice will be cancelled if a Motor Vehicle License was obtained after the fine was issued.
    • the vehicle's inspection Warrant of Fitness (WoF) or Certificate of Fitness (CoF) had expired, and you stopped to attend to any non-related business on your way to obtain a vehicle inspection.
  • Yes. The PayMyPark App is now available. With the PayMyPark parking app you will be able to pay for your parking from your smartphone and extend your time remotely.

    Visit PayMyPark to find out more

  • The first hour of parking in Blenheim and Picton is free in all tariffed Marlborough District Council car parks until 30 June 2021. This does not apply to timed parks (P5, P10, P15, P30, P60, P120, P180), loading zones, private or Port Marlborough car parks. Parkers must activate a meter to obtain their first hour of free parking.