Applying for a Resource Consent


Marlborough is at Orange

Marlborough is at Orange level of the Covid-19 Protection Framework (the traffic light system).

Share this page


Applying for a Resource Consent

Consent types

There are five types of consent:

  • Land use consents
  • Subdivision consents
  • Water permits
  • Discharge permits
  • Coastal permits

Some activities may require more than one consent. For example, drilling a well for irrigation purposes and irrigating land with water from the well requires both a land use consent and a water permit.

Council’s role is to assess each application and to approve, conditionally approve or decline the application.

Online resource consent applications

You are now able to apply for resource consents online

To apply online:

  • Go to our online application (see the link below)
  • When you select the application, you will be prompted to log in. If you have a login for our online services, enter this now
  • To use this service, we do require that you create a login. This is because a login gives you additional usability, such as the ability to save partially completed applications and return to them later
  • If you don't yet have a login, creating one is a simple process; simply choose the 'create an account' button and enter your email address and create a password. To complete the process and enable your access to resource consent applications, you must follow the link in the confirmation email you receive

Apply for a resource consent online

Alternatively, you can apply using the PDF resource consent forms below. Do not complete both the online form and a downloadable PDF form for the same application.

PDF resource consent forms

Forms can be printed and completed, then posted, faxed or delivered in person to Council's Blenheim or Picton Customer Service Centres.

Contact us if you would like us to send you a copy of a form in the mail.

Go to contact us page

Please note: Resource consent applications submitted on paper/via PDF form will incur a fee (found under Resource Consent Fees: Miscellaneous consents, certificate and permissions). As we move to online consents, this fee is being charged for the additional handling and data entry necessary for a hard copy resource consent application.

To avoid this surcharge, please apply for your resource consent online.

Apply online

See resource consent fees page


The following is a link to the 'Irricalc' website. This is used to determine reasonable use allocations where water is proposed to be used for irrigation purposes.

Go to Irrigation Reasonable Use tool

Submission Forms

See the link below for the online submission form for notified and limited notification applications for a resource consent. (Alternatively, print and complete the PDF version of this form.)

Go to online submission form

Duty Planner Service

A duty planner is available to provide information about the resource management plans and the resource consent process.

See the Duty Planner page for details of this service

Processing of applications

Council processes applications in accordance with procedures defined in the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA). Applications can be processed in one of three ways.

Non-notified applications (not advertised)

If Council is satisfied your activity will have only minor adverse effects on the environment, and if all persons Council considers may be affected by your proposal have approved it in writing, your application may not need to be notified.

Council staff dealing with your application will assess your proposal, usually visiting its location.

A written decision on a non-notified application is normally issued within 20 working days of Council’s acceptance of the application.

Limited notification applications (served only on affected parties)

Limited notification applies where it is determined that the proposal will have no more than a minor adverse effect on the environment, but the written consent of all affected parties has not been received. Council is required to serve notice on all the affected parties.

The period for lodging a submission is 20 working (statutory) days. A hearing shall be required if a submitter requests to be heard. The hearing procedure is the same procedure as that for a publicly notified application hearing.

Publicly notified applications (advertised in the local newspaper and served on affected and other statutory parties)

Council has 10 working days from acceptance of the application to notify the application. If your application is to be publicly notified, the details of it will be advertised in the local newspaper(s) to give members of the public the opportunity to make submissions on your proposal.

Persons that Council considers may be affected by your proposal are advised of it by mail. A sign may be placed on the property identifying it as the site of the application.

Submissions usually close 20 working days after the advertisement appears in the newspapers.

If your proposal is generally in accordance with RMA and plan requirements, and no submissions are received that require a formal hearing, then the application may proceed as for a non-notified application.

If your proposal is not generally in accordance with RMA and plan requirements and/or submissions are received that require a formal hearing, the application will be considered at a hearing of the Resource Hearings Committee (usually comprising three councillors). In some cases an independent commissioner will hear the application. This hearing is scheduled within 25 working days of the closing date for submissions closing.