The Marlborough Navigation Safety Bylaws are changing.
Feedback has been sought on the Proposed Marlborough District Council Navigation Bylaw 2017.
The significant changes to the Bylaw include the following:
- A requirement to wear a lifejackets in vessels under six metres in length
- Compulsory registration of jet skis
- New requirements regarding the carriage of communication equipment
Council has bylaws to regulate maritime and navigation safety in the waters of Marlborough and is required to review the bylaws regularly.
We are proposing that we replace the Navigation Bylaw 2009 with a plain English version and update it to:
- Take into account legislative and technological change such as the promulgation of the maritime Rules Chapter 91
- Remove the provisions relating to commercial vessels and replace them with Harbour Master Directions
- Remove duplication
- Include missing provisions and powers.
Submissions have now closed and can be viewed below. The hearing of submissions is scheduled for Thursday 8 February 2018 commencing at 2.00 pm. Members of the public are welcome to attend.