Key messages around rail safety include:
- Trains are frequent (and can come from any direction)
- Trains can travel at any time of the day or night
- Trains can come in quick succession
- Trains are heavy
- Trains are fast
- Trains can't swerve or stop in a hurry
- Trains have right of way
- Rail safety is everyone's responsibility
KiwiRail plans and coordinates rail safety activities and works closely with TrackSAFE NZ and other organisations such as NZ Police and NZ Transport Agency.
Visit the Tracksafe website for general rail safety information using the link below.