Picton Redevelopment Plan
The future of Waitohi/Picton is the subject of a new redevelopment study for Marlborough District Council. The study is a long term development plan for the town that will include key public spaces such as the Foreshore and High Street.
The new study has been triggered by a number of public submissions made to the Council for proposed new facilities in the town, as well as opportunities created by the Picton Ferry Precinct Redevelopment proposed by KiwiRail and Port Marlborough.
Immediate feasibility work will be undertaken on three public proposals: a hot pools and spa, a heritage and environment centre, and a mountain bike park. These will be combined under one study from an independent consultant.
In May 2021, Council met with the Picton community to discuss the initial feasibility study for Picton tourism opportunities.
The overall development plan framework will be presented to the Council for approval, with the feasibility studies to be incorporated into the overall plan.
The study will consider:
- Improved Foreshore-related connections between the port and town centre
- Evaluation of the businesses and activities currently accommodated on the Foreshore
- Investigation of ways to better connect London Quay more seamlessly to the waterfront
- An assessment of the current i-Site location
- Identifying key property opportunities in and around the CBD
- Alignment with the Picton Ferry Precinct Redevelopment.