Community Events Fund
About this fund
Marlborough District Council recognises the importance of events, how they celebrate and showcase our region’s attributes and how they act as catalysts for community well-being and civic pride. To help support the delivery of quality, innovative community events Council has established a new annual contestable fund from 1 July 2023.
This Fund is open year-round (or until funds are fully allocated) to enable applicants to apply as event opportunities arise.
Eligibility & Criteria:
Applications will be considered on its merits using the process and criteria set out below with decisions made in the best interest of the Marlborough community. Priority may be given to new events or existing events looking to grow.
- Will be accepted from Marlborough community groups, organisations and individuals. Individuals must have New Zealand citizen or permanent resident status
- Must show a monetary contribution to the event (either from their own funds or externally sourced) and will not be solely reliant on funding from Marlborough District Council
- Must comply with all Marlborough District Council regulatory and statutory requirements relating to the preparation and delivery of the event, including obtaining all necessary permits and consents
- Take place within Marlborough District Council boundaries
- Promote Marlborough and engage the community
- Be of direct benefit to the Marlborough community and support its cultural, social, economic and environmental well-being
- Create opportunities to build and celebrate community pride and for our communities to connect and celebrate our regional diversity
- Promote community support and involvement and strengthen partnerships and participation
- Be free entry or low cost, family-friendly and accessible to all
- Complement Marlborough’s calendar and not detract from / compete with existing events
- Procure goods and services locally where possible
- Have the potential for growth
- Demonstrate plans to work towards financial sustainability
- Demonstrate sustainable practices
How much can be funded?
- There will be no maximum that can be applied for. However, it is likely events will be supported by $2,000 - $3,000
- Multi-year applications will not be accepted and events will need to re-apply if they wish to receive future funding
- Underwrites could be considered with funding paid post-event following evidence of P&L report
What can be funded?
The fund will support costs integral to holding an event, which includes, but is not limited to, venue hire; equipment hire e.g. seating, marquees, sound and lighting; marketing and promotion; health & safety; insurance; transport management and hospitality costs.
What can’t be funded?
- Retrospective funding
- Prizes / Trophies
- Private functions
- Events of a political nature
- Events promoting a religious doctrine
- Events that denigrate, exclude or offend any part of the community
- Commercial events, exhibitions, reunions, tournaments, fundraisers, conventions or trade shows
- Events that have received funding for the same activity through other Marlborough District Council funding programmes
- Whilst this funding is available on an annual basis, it does not mean that all funds must be distributed each year
- Applications will be reviewed by Council’s Regional Events Advisor and assessed by the Chair of the Economic, Finance and Community Committee (Clr Jamie Arbuckle) and the Community Events Portfolio Holder (Clr Jonathan Rosene)
- Where possible applicants will be informed of a decision by email within three weeks of their application being made
- Funding recipients will need to complete a full post-event accountability report via Council’s website within two months of the event taking place
- Funding decisions will be reported by Council’s Regional Events Advisor to the Economic, Finance and Community Committee